Mehmet Hepgur, MD
Welcome from Program Director
Dear Fellowship Candidate,
It is my pleasure to welcome you to our program. Our mission is to train future hematologists and oncologists in an evolving environment. We are committed to providing our trainees with the knowledge, skills, and experience they need to become exceptional physicians in the field of hematology and oncology.
Our campus is in Deerfield Beach, South Florida just minutes away from the beach, close to Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and West Palm Beach; it is in the heart of a diverse community, an area that is unique in the country.
The Broward Health system is among the twenty largest public health systems in the USA. Broward Health North is a 409-bed level two trauma center, that has extensive subspecialty services in the medical and surgical fields.
Our program is designed to offer a comprehensive and well-rounded training experience that prepares our fellows for a successful career in the field. We provide our trainees with broad clinical exposure, in-depth education, and research opportunities that are tailored to their individual interests and career goals.
We believe that the best way to prepare our fellows for the future is to provide them with a solid foundation in the fundamentals of hematology and oncology, while also exposing them to the latest advances in the field. Our program is designed to be flexible and adaptable, so that we can respond to the changing needs of our trainees and the evolving landscape of hematology and oncology.
We look forward to working with you to help you achieve your career goals and become a successful hematologist and oncologist.
Mehmet Hepgur, MD
Hematology & Medical Oncology - Broward Health North
Dr. Chintan Gandhi received his medical degree from C.U. Shah Medical College. He is triple board certified in Medical Oncology, Hematology, and Internal Medicine. He is actively involved with the fellowship program, clinical practice, utilization management review and expert witness. and has been in practice between 11-20 years. Dr. Chintan Gandhi interests are in treating Breast cancer, Lymphoma, Chronic leukemia, among other conditions.
Chintan C. Gandhi, MD
Associate Program Director
Hematology & Medical Oncology - Broward Health North
About the Program
The Hematology and Medical Oncology fellowship program is designed to train both community-oriented and academically focused physicians as part of the larger mission of the Broward Health System to provide high-quality, compassionate care to all our patients and their families.
The program aims to provide quality experience in the broad discipline of hematology oncology so that each fellow will be prepared for either a private or an academic career in hematology oncology and to provide the best care for patient. In addition, to train fellows to become productive in clinical research and publications. Train fellows to be advocates for patient safety and quality improvement.
The program will develop fellows through clinical practice and improvement, innovative basic science, and research. The program will teach and educate trainees on Hematology and medical oncology principles.
Broward Health North provides a vast array of services for cancer patients from diagnostic testing to treatment and end-of-life care. Services include:
HEMATOLOGY & MEDICAL ONCOLOGY – Our Board-certified Hematology & Medical Oncology physicians provide medical treatment for patients with hematological and oncological diseases. It is available through:
- Inpatient consultation service
- Hospital-based hematology/oncology physician practice located on site. Care planning and treatment is provided by our physician, an advanced registered nurse practitioner and a medical assistant. A full-time social worker helps identify and eliminate barriers to care.
GENETIC SCREENING & COUNSELING is available for patients who are at high risk for cancer, based on their personal and/ or family history. Cancer risk assessments are provided, as well as education regarding cancer risk and inherited forms of cancers. The option of genetic testing is extensively explored with patients and/or family members based on the risk assessments and family history.
OUTPATIENT INFUSION CENTER – The center features treatment by a multi-disciplinary team of Oncology-certified nurses and Medical Assistants. Care is delivered in a relaxing setting in reclining chairs with individual flat screen TV’s. Services include:
- Hydration therapy
- Blood transfusions
- Intravenous nutrition
- Subcutaneous (SQ) and intramuscular (IM) injection
- Administration of IV antibiotics and other medications
INPATIENT ONCOLOGY UNIT (3SE) – Our dedicated inpatient unit serves our patient’s specialized needs in a comfortable environment. Case managers, social workers and financial counselors help patients prepare to continue their treatment on an outpatient basis when necessary.
RADIATION ONCOLOGY – With our partner GenesisCare we provide care by expert radiation oncologists, physicists, dosimetrists, and therapists work with a team of surgical and medical oncologists to deliver the latest technology in radiation treatment for cancer patients. Technology includes:
- The Varian Image Guided Radiation Therapy System offers the most precise and accurate radiation therapy treatment. It confirms patient and tumor positioning immediately prior to treatment. This allows for the delivery of higher doses of radiation to tumor sites while sparing adjacent healthy tissues.
- CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery System provides a real-time image guidance for highly specialized treatment of cranial tumors, does not require the use of an invasive frame that is mounted into patient’s skull. The robotic arm-mounted radiation therapy system is ideal for hard to reach tumors of the spine, pancreas, liver and lungs.
- Brachytherapy, a therapy in which radioactive seeds are implanted for prostate and other cancers, is also available.
SURGICAL ONCOLOGY – Fellowship-trained surgeons (including urologists, gynecologic oncologists, and thoracic surgeons) utilize all the latest surgical protocols in the treatment of cancer including the robotic da Vinci® S HD Surgical System which allows surgeons to perform complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
INETERVENTIONAL ONCOLOGY services include minimally-invasive procedures encompassing radio frequency and cryoablation of tumors of the lungs, liver and kidneys.
DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING – Our team utilizes the most state of-the-art equipment to detect and treat cancer. Key technologies include:
- Digital mammography for the most accurate breast examinations
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scan
- Computed Topography (CT) scans are used in diagnosing tumors and metastatic diseases. Our 128 Multi-Slice CT Scanner, which detects cancer and other conditions early with unprecedented image quality, was the first in Broward County.
- Ultrasound guided and stereotactic breast biopsy exams
PATHOLOGY & LABORATORY MEDICINE – Our pathologists are laboratory based, board certified physicians.
- We provide Fine Needle Aspiration testing for breast, lymph nodes, thyroid, and salivary glands.
- The Pathology & Laboratory Department is approved by the College of American Pathologists and follows the nation’s highest standards of care to help with the rapid diagnosis and treatment of patients with cancer.
PHARMACY SERVICES – Oncology-trained pharmacists work with physicians to review, plan, and monitor all drugs used for cancer treatment and their interactions, ensuring dose accuracy, and minimizing side effects.
NUTRITIONAL SERVICES – Clinical dieticians offer assistance in meeting daily nutritional needs to maintain strength and prevent weight loss. Nutritional counseling is also offered to patients who experience side effects while undergoing cancer treatment.
REHABILITATION & PHYSICAL THERAPY – Highly trained staff in the Rehabilitative Services offer each patient individual and personal treatment with the goal of resuming the most normal life possible.
CLINICAL RESEARCH – The newest research in cancer prevention, detection and treatment is offered through a wide range of clinical research studies. Our partnership with medial schools provides us with access to a large number of the nation’s newest offerings.
PALLIATIVE CARE SERVICES – Palliative care services are available for cancer patients to provide pain and symptom management for cancer patients. The goal is to improve the quality of life for both the patient and the family.
HOSPICE SERVICES – Hospice services are provided an in inpatient and outpatient basis. Our inpatient unit is a partnership with Vitas Healthcare which provides nursing care as well as access to social workers, chaplains, and bereavement counselors.
Training Blocks and Sites
The core rotations offered are:
- Inpatient Hematology/ Consult
- Hematology Outpatient Hematology
- Oncology Outpatient
- Gynecology Oncology
- Bone Marrow Transplant
The elective rotations offered are:
- Radiation Oncology
- Pediatric Hematology Oncology
- Gynecology Oncology
Our Hematology and Medical Oncology Fellowship program is a 3-year program that offers positions starting at the PGY4 level. Before starting our program, applicants must complete a three-year internal medicine residency training.
Applications are only accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Our program participates in the National Residency Match Program (NRMP) for selection.
All applications are evaluated holistically.
- USMLE or COMLEX Scores
- Dean’s Letter (MSPE)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
- Personal Statement
- Medical School Transcripts (international transcripts must be translated)
- ECFMG Certificate, if applicable
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
International applicants must meet the following additional requirements:
- Applicants must be eligible for Florida Medical Training Licensure
- Applicants must be eligible for J1 visa sponsorship.
Broward Health North Program (1551114001) -
NRMP # (6 Total Positions) ERAS ID #
We strongly encourage applicants interested in Hematology and medical oncology training to apply to our program and learn its unique features through the interview process.